Heel Spurs are bony expansions of the heel bone that occur because of swelling at the heel. They can be found at the back/bottom of the heel or on the sole of the foot. Heel spurs that occur at the hind of the heel form at that location due to inflammation of the Achilles tendon, which itself can cause complications. This, as you can imagine, causes pain behind the heel; however, if this condition happens on the sole of the foot, it is likely due to the plantar fascia being swollen. Plantar heel spurs can be tender at the beginning stages but can actually get even more painful when placing pressure on the heel if treatment is not sought when pain begins to become noticeable. Contributing factors that increase the chances of this condition forming are obesity, poorly fitting shoes, and an uneven heel.
Treatment for this condition involves:
- The use of anti-inflammatories to counteract pain that stems from the bottom of the foot to decrease swelling and pain.
- Ice therapy for swelling of the heel.
- Compression through bandaging the heel.
- Exercising and physical therapy to stimulate muscles in the foot.
- Heel cushions to alleviate pain.
- Utilizing shoes that fit correctly.
- Custom made orthotics that line to the contours of your feet so that pressure can be routed away from the heel to other areas of the foot.
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures that will require the foot to be in a cast to allow for proper healing.
Although heel spurs can be managed, they can become a significant impediment to mobility or accomplishing routine tasks if not treated timely. The heel is used in many movements and this condition can cause many complications. Please contact us to receive treatment that can alleviate your heel pain right away. Here at Atlanta Foot Care Center, located in Atlanta, Georgia, our podiatrists, Dr. William C. Stoll, D.P.M., Dr. Dwayne A. Lay, D.P.M. and Dr. Daalia M. Jones, D.P.M., can help to restore your heel to its optimal condition! So, make an appointment today by calling our office at (404) 355-4522.
|Monday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|