Flat feet are a condition that can occur early or later in life and depending on the extent of their intrusion, significant pain can occur. Our podiatrists, Dr. William C. Stoll, D.P.M., Dr. Dwayne A. Lay, D.P.M. and Dr. Daalia M. Jones, D.P.M., can help you overcome this condition at the Atlanta Foot Care Center where we can be reached at (404) 355-4522, and are located in Atlanta, Georgia.
Flat feet happens as there is a change in the form of the foot whereby the arch is not in its natural position when standing. This condition is common in infants and occurs because the tendons holding joints together have become loose. These tendons are supposed to tighten and create an arch as kids grow, particularly around 3 years of age. Yet, an arch may not ever form in an adult. There are genetic reasons for loose tendons. However, older age, traumas or ailments could harm tendons and produce flat feet even after normal arches were previously formed.
This condition usually causes aches in feet after standing for a long time or participating in high intensity sports. When this condition does cause significant pain, the following could be helpful to reduce it:
- Orthotics that are custom made to fit the contours of your feet to redistribute pressure.
- Properly fitting shoes with special arch supports.
- Physical therapy in the form of stretching the calf muscle.
- Treatment via a cast may be necessary to help alleviate pain and treat a specific cause of this condition.
- Pain relievers to reduce pain while allowing proper mobility.
However, surgery may be required when pain does not improve. This can involve cleaning or restoring the tendon and fusing joints of the foot into their appropriate positions. Although surgical procedures may be necessary, there can however be complications such as:
- Fused bones may not heal correctly.
- A foot deformity that was supposed to be removed is still present.
- A subsequent infection occurs.
- Loss of significant mobility in the injured foot.
- Nagging pain on a consistent basis.
Since it is important to get flat feet treated quickly if they are causing pain, please contact us for quality treatment that can help to alleviate your pain. Also, remember that you can utilize our Patient Portal to email us directly with any questions you may have!
|Monday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|