Bunions happen slowly and don’t leave unless proper treatment is received. Our podiatrists, Dr. William C. Stoll, D.P.M., Dr. Dwayne A. Lay, D.P.M. and Dr. Daalia M. Jones, D.P.M., will do their best to treat this condition at the Atlanta Foot Care Center where we can be reached at (404) 355-4522, and are located in Atlanta, Georgia.
Bunions are bumps on the side of the foot, adjacent to the big toe and form over time to change the alignment of the toes. The dangerous part of this condition is that most individuals who develop bunions are not aware of the beginning stages because they don’t feel symptoms that early. This condition can be genetic, may be caused by improperly fitting foot wear that are too narrow, causing friction against the toes or underlying diseases such as arthritis.
Treatments for this condition include the following:
- Utilizing shoes that fit correct and that have adequate toe room.
- Using a service to professionally stretch shoes to help make them larger.
- Use of pads to cover the bunion, providing a cushioning effect.
- Refraining from standing on feet for extended amounts of time.
- Using anti-inflammatories to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
- Use of cold devices to provide relief from inflammation and discomfort.
- Placing orthotics in shoes to help redistribute offending pressures placed on the big toe.
When the above methods are not enough to provide adequate relief, surgery may be required to place the big toe in its normally set location. A surgical procedure for this condition could involve re-positioning bones, ligaments, nerves or tendons to remove the bump formed by the bunion. These procedures do not take much time and the type of procedure will depend on the patient’s health, the type of deformity and age. Whereas, the recovery time will depend on specific type of procedure that is utilized since the location and scope of impact of each bunion may be different. Bearing all this in mind, please contact us now for a chance to make your bunions tap out to targeted treatment!
|Monday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|