Athlete’s foot can be painful and spread easily. Our podiatrists, Dr. William C. Stoll, D.P.M., Dr. Dwayne A. Lay, D.P.M. and Dr. Daalia M. Jones, D.P.M., will treat this condition with the utmost care at the Atlanta Foot Care Center where we can be reached at (404) 355-4522, and are located in Atlanta, Georgia.
Athlete’s Foot is a contagious fungal infection that can spread from the skin of the feet to the toenails. The fungus that causes this condition can be contracted from another person or contaminated surfaces such as public pools, locker rooms or showers. Those who frequent these areas are more likely to acquire this condition, as are those who share socks or shoes with someone who has this infection. Symptoms of this condition include:
- Itching or burning in between the toes or on the soles of the feet.
- Itchy blisters on the feet.
- Skin that’s breaking on the feet.
- Discolored skin of the feet.
Treatment for this condition can include the use of antifungal medications or antibiotics if a bacterial infection develops. Preventative tips include the following:
- Washing feet with soap and hot water daily.
- Drying feet on a daily basis after they become wet.
- Using antifungal powders on feet daily.
- Refraining from wearing open shoes in public places such as pools.
- Using socks made from cotton that pull moisture away from the skin of the foot.
- Changing socks as feet get damp.
- Keeping feet uncovered when home to allow them to stay dry.
- Wearing shoes that have materials that allow air to pass through the insides of them.
- Using different pairs of shoes every other day to prevent excess moisture from building within them, which can be a breeding ground for fungus.
Athlete’s foot can be unsettling as it can have a wide array of consequences on the feet. We therefore recommend that you please contact us as soon as you notice any of the symptoms described above so that we can treat your feet with the care they deserve!
|Monday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday:||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|